How to Report Wage & Hour Violations

Posted By The Russell Friedman Law Group, LLP || 5-Aug-2015

In the United States, employees have the right to fair compensation for their work. Each state has a different minimum wage, which prevents employers from underpaying workers. These laws also address issues regarding unpaid overtime pay.

If your employer failed to provide the compensation you deserve for your work, you can report a wage violation under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).

Understanding the Filing Process

You can file a complaint in person or by mail. Wage and hour violation complaints should go to the (WHD) Wage and Hour Division of the Department of Labor and include:

  • When the violation occurred (specific dates, if possible)
  • A general description of the violation
  • Information about the employee’s pay, method of payment, and regularity of payment
  • Description of employee’s work/job title
  • Contact information for the employer (name, phone number, address, etc.)
  • Employee’s information (address, phone number, name)

What Happens After You File a Complaint

After you contact the WHD, it reviews the complaint and investigates the claim. If the WHD determines that the employer denied the employee pay, it may help him/her recover compensation. In some cases, the WHD needs additional information from the complainant to pursue an allegation against the employer.

If possible, prepare as much information about the situation as possible. This will help the WHD act quickly and effectively, so you can pursue the wages you deserve.

When to Contact an Employment Law Attorney

Filing a claim isn’t easy, though. In fact, the WHD often demands a daunting amount of information and paperwork. If you’re considering a wage and hour dispute with your employer, speak with a member of our firm today. At The Russell Friedman Law Group, LLP, we can help you file a complaint, gather the necessary information, and provide an effective strategy to seek the wages you need. We have more than 30 years of legal experience and serve clients in New York and New Jersey.

Contact our office today. Your first consultation is free.

Blog Home