Albany Car Accidents
The risk of being involved in a car accident is greater than ever today. With all the trucks and delivery vehicles on the road, smartphone driver distraction, speeding, and other dangerous driving behaviors, you may not be able to avoid a crash, even when you are driving carefully. Turn to experienced Albany car accident attorneys for help if you have been hurt through someone else’s negligence.
How Many Car Accidents Happen in New York and Albany County?
For a recent 15-year period, the following traffic crash statistics are reported by the State of New York. On average, per year, there were:
- 6,207 hospitalizations for motor vehicle traffic crash injuries
- 106,6512 emergency room visits
- 292 deaths among vehicle occupants
Motor vehicle crashes are the fourth leading cause of injury-related death and the third leading cause of injury-related hospitalization in Albany County. New York state government reports that over a recent three-year period in Albany County, traffic crashes caused 14 deaths, 152 hospitalizations, and 1,907 emergency room visits per year.
What Are the Leading Causes of Car Accidents Today?
Traffic crashes have many causes, including road hazards and mechanical failure. However, most car accidents today involve some type of driver negligence. Common causes include:
- Drunk driving: Every day in the U.S., approximately 32 people are killed in drunk-driving crashes – one every 45 minutes -- according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). In the most recent year for which statistics are available, 11,654 people died in traffic accidents involving drunk drivers.
- Drugged driving: Drug-impaired driving is a growing factor in traffic crashes, as stated by the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL). Although there is a decreasing trend of alcohol use by drivers, more weekend nighttime drivers are testing positive for marijuana use, according to a recent NHTSA survey.
- Distracted driving: With the increased use of smartphones in the last decade, distracted driving has become a greater danger. Drivers should have their eyes on the road, their hands on the wheel, and their attention on operating the vehicle. Use of electronic devices while driving requires all three types of attention – visual, manual, and cognitive.
- Fatigued driving: Driving drowsy can be as dangerous as driving under the influence, as stated by the National Safety Council (NSC). Going more than 20 hours without sleep is equivalent to a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08% in terms of operating a motor vehicle. The risk of a crash is three times greater for fatigued drivers.
- Aggressive driving: Reckless or aggressive driving puts others on the roadway at risk. This type of dangerous driving behavior may involve excessive speeding, unsafe lane changes, tailgating, failure to yield the right-of-way, and disregarding traffic signs and signals.
Do You Need a Lawyer After a Car Accident?
After a serious car accident that was someone else’s fault, your best chance of recovering full compensation for your losses is to have an experienced personal injury attorney handling your claim. Insurance companies are in business for profit and mainly interested in their own bottom line. The goal of their representatives is to minimize their payout or deny your claim altogether. Our Albany car accident lawyers can:
- Investigate your accident to determine fault and liability
- Secure evidence to support your claim
- Build a strong case based on the facts
- Assess the full extent of your damages – past, present, and future
- Negotiate skillfully with insurance companies on your behalf
- Go to trial for the compensation you deserve if necessary
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.