Albany Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
People ride motorcycles for a number of reasons. Riding is low-impact exercise that burns calories. It builds muscle, makes the brain work harder, and elevates mood. Despite its advantages, without a doubt, riding a motorcycle is riskier than driving a car. Per vehicle miles traveled, the risk of a fatal accident is nearly 29 times greater on a motorcycle, as stated by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
What Makes Riding Motorcycles More Dangerous?
It is inherently riskier to ride a motorcycle than to drive a car for several reasons:
- Motorcycles are smaller and less visible than larger passenger vehicles. Other drivers may miss them in their blind spots or simply fail to register their presence on the road.
- Motorcycles are less stable than four-wheeled cars and trucks. Potholes, uneven pavement, water, gravel, or debris on the road can be serious hazards for bikers. Braking or swerving in an emergency can cause a rider to lose control of the bike.
- Motorcyclists lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle. In a crash, they can be thrown from the bike and are more likely than passenger vehicle occupants to be seriously injured or killed.
How Do Motorcycle Accidents Happen?
As with all motor vehicle accidents, there are many contributing factors to motorcycle crashes, and many involve human error. A leading cause is failure of other motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles on the road. Common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Negligent left turns: Drivers executing left turns at intersections may misjudge distance and speed and turn into the path of oncoming motorcycle moving through a green light. In some cases, drivers focused on executing the turn and looking for larger vehicles, simply fail to register the approaching motorcycle.
- Unsafe lane changes: A driver who fails to signal and check blind spots before changing lanes may collide with a motorcycle in the lane the driver is entering or cut the motorcyclist off.
- Tailgating: Following too closely is dangerous. It does not allow enough time to react in case the driver in front has to stop suddenly. Tailgating is particularly risky when a 4,000 lb. passenger vehicle is following a motorcycle.
- Speeding: More than 11,000 people in the U.S. were killed in speeding-related crashes in 2020, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Of all traffic fatalities, including deaths on motorcycles, 29% involved speeding.
- Dooring: When an occupant of a parked vehicle opens a car door into the path of an oncoming motorcyclist, it can have devastating consequences. Dooring can cause serious injuries to riders, including traumatic brain injury, fractured bones, internal organ damage, and injury to the spine.
- Head-on collisions: When a car strikes a motorcycle head-on, it can be catastrophic for the rider. This type of crash can occur when a fatigued or intoxicated driver veers into the lane of oncoming traffic, or when a driver goes the wrong way on a one-way road.
How Do You Get Compensated for a Motorcycle Crash in Albany?
No-fault insurance laws in New York do not apply to motorcycle accident claims. To seek fault-based compensation, it is not necessary to prove you have suffered a serious injury. If someone else caused your motorcycle accident and injuries, you are entitled to file a claim for compensation against the at-fault party. Your best chance of winning the maximum recovery is to have an experienced Albany motorcycle accident lawyer by your side.
At Russell Friedman Law Group, we are a trusted team of attorneys who are committed to putting your best interests first. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident caused by the negligence of another, call us at (518) 520-4667 to schedule a free consultation.
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.