Binghamton Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Injured in a Motorcycle Accident in Binghamton, NY?
A motorcycle accident is an exceptionally dangerous type of collision. The rider is virtually unprotected, even when wearing a helmet and leather garments. The impact with the roadway is so forceful that the motorcyclist may sustain serious, life-threatening, or fatal injuries. After a motorcycle accident, the concern is focused on recovering health as much as possible, but the legal issues surrounding the incident should be addressed as soon as possible after the accident. It is strongly recommended that you seek legal counsel to manage your injury claim, as the outcome will in large part, reflect the skills and experience of the attorney representing you.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
The types of injuries sustained in these accidents range from serious abrasions (road rash) to injuries so serious the rider has no hope of a full recovery. Some of the common serious motorcycle accident injuries include, but are not limited to:
- Traumatic brain injuries: These injuries can lead to permanent disabilities, with the loss of cognitive ability, physical abilities, and emotional changes, or in the most serious cases, a long-term coma or death.
- Spinal cord injuries: The spinal cord is a critical body system, and when injured, can lead to permanent paralysis, paraplegia or quadriplegia. The injured person may lose abilities for a lifetime, a permanent life-altering injury.
- Broken bones: The impact with the roadway often leads to fractures, which in many cases, are very serious and require several surgeries to attempt to repair.
- Joint injuries: Damaged hips, shoulder, knee, elbow, or risk are very common in motorcycle accidents, the result of the force of impact with the road.
- Internal organ damage: As the body of the rider impacts the road, the internal organs can suffer serious damage, with internal bleeding and the potential for loss of life or permanent damage.
Common Types of Motorcycle Accidents in Binghamton
Drivers of passenger vehicles, including cars, trucks, vans, SUVs, and pickups are often found to be responsible for a motorcycle accident. The types of driver behaviors that may lead to serious or catastrophic injuries include:
- Drunk driving accidents
- Distracted driver accidents
- Intersection accidents – left turns
- Speeding accidents
- Drug-intoxication accidents
- Aggressive driving accidents
- Rear-end motorcycle accidents
Who is Liable?
The facts surrounding a motorcycle accident must be fully reviewed and evaluated to determine the liable party. Law enforcement will produce an accident report, which may be a critical piece of supporting evidence. Eyewitnesses must be interviewed, and the vehicles, roadway, and any video available reviewed. The evidence will reveal which driver was responsible for the collision. The liable party will be named in a claim or lawsuit, filed to recover damages – the financial and personal losses experienced by the injured rider.
What Damages Can be Pursued?
In the state of New York, several damages can be sought in a personal injury claim. These include:
- General damages: These are the damages paid to attempt to make the injured person “whole.” The amount will include a monetary value placed on pain and suffering, disability, disfigurement, reduced quality of life, and loss of consortium, among other personal and emotional losses.
- Special damages: These are actual economic losses, such as medical expenses, current and estimated for future care, lost wages, now and future, lost earning capacity, and property damages.
- Punitive damages: In some rare cases, a motorcycle accident case may allow for punitive damages, which are paid to punish the responsible party. These damages are only possible in cases of egregious or reckless behavior.
The calculation of the damages is a critical point. You deserve the support of a law firm that is client-focused, experienced, and has an extensive record of positive case outcomes – the legal team at Russell Friedman Law Group. If you or a loved one was injured in a motorcycle accident in the Binghamton area, we urge you to connect with us as soon as possible after the incident.
Contact us at (607) 600-2748 to speak with us about your case.
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.