Buffalo Car Accidents
Car accidents happen far too frequently in Buffalo and throughout the state of New York. The sheer numbers of vehicles on the road today and other factors combine to make getting behind the wheel of a car more hazardous than ever. If you have been hurt in a car accident, you are entitled to seek compensation for your injuries.
How Many Traffic Crashes Happen Each Year?
Many motor vehicle accidents occur every year in the U.S. For 2020, the most recent year for which statistics are available, the following data is reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 5.25 million police-reported crashes occurred on U.S. roadways.
- 38,824 people were killed in motor vehicle accidents.
- Per 100 million vehicle miles traveled, the fatality rate increased by 21% from the previous year.
- An estimated 2.28 million people were injured in traffic crashes.
- 1,046 traffic fatalities occurred in New York alone.
Who Is Financially Responsible for Car Accidents in New York?
New York is a “no-fault” state for auto accidents. If you are involved in a crash, you must file a first-party claim with your own insurance company to recover compensation. However, in the case of serious injury caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to file a third-party claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company or file a lawsuit against the driver in civil court. In New York, serious injury is defined as an injury that results in:
- Significant disfigurement
- Fractured bones
- Loss of a fetus
- Permanent loss of use of an organ, member, system, or function of the body
- Permanent consequential limitation of use of an organ or member of the body
- Prevention from performing a person’s usual daily activities for at least 90 of the first 180 days after the accident
What Are the Minimum Auto Insurance Requirements in New York?
State law requires all drivers to carry auto insurance with the following minimum coverage amounts:
- $50,000 personal injury protection (PIP) coverage
- $25,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $25,000 bodily injury uninsured motorist per person
- $50,000 bodily injury uninsured motorist per accident
Do You Need an Attorney After a Car Accident in Buffalo?
If you have been seriously injured in a car accident caused by the negligence of another, your best chance of recovering full compensation for your losses is to have an experienced personal injury attorney handling your claim. Even if you file a no-fault claim with your own insurance company, you may be better off with skilled legal representation.
Insurance companies are in business for profit and do not have your best interests at heart. Their goal is to minimize their payouts, and they have teams of lawyers to fight against claims. An insurance representative may offer a lowball settlement that does not cover your damages. It is in your best interests to consult with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer or signing anything with an insurance company.
How Can Russell Friedman Law Group Help?
We are experienced legal professionals who put our clients first. If you have suffered serious injury, our Buffalo car accident attorneys at Russell Friedman Law Group can investigate your car accident to establish fault and liability, secure evidence to support your claim, assess the full extent of your damages, build a strong case, and negotiate skillfully with insurance companies on your behalf. We will not hesitate to take your case to court if necessary to recover the compensation you are entitled to receive.
Contact us at (716) 335-9239 to schedule a free consultation. We can help you pursue the maximum compensation available for a serious car accident.
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.