Buffalo Motorcycle Accidents
Most riders are aware that they are more likely to be injured on a motorcycle than in a car. Motorcycles are smaller, less visible, and less stable than four-wheeled passenger vehicles. Riders lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle and can be thrown from the bike in a crash. If you have been hurt in a motorcycle accident that was someone else’s fault, you have a right to seek compensation for your injuries.
What Are the Statistics on Motorcycle Accidents?
In 2020, the most recent year for which statistics are available, 5,579 people in the U.S. were killed on motorcycles, as reported by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). This figure represents an 11% increase over the previous year. It is more than double the number of motorcycle fatalities in 1997. Per vehicle miles traveled, motorcyclists are nearly 29 times more likely to be killed in a traffic crash than passenger vehicle occupants.
How Do Motorcycle Accidents Happen?
Any number of factors can contribute to a motorcycle crash. Many motorcycle accidents are caused by the negligent actions of other drivers. Common causes include:
- Unsafe lane changes: Motorcycles are smaller than cars, vans, SUVs, or trucks. A driver who fails to signal and perform a head check before switching lanes may hit a motorcycle in his or her blind spot.
- Negligent left turns: Drivers making left-hand turns are a leading cause of motorcycle accidents. A driver turning left at an intersection pulls directly into the path of an oncoming motorcycle. Drivers may fail to correctly estimate the speed and distance of motorcycles, or, as they are looking for larger vehicles, they may simply fail to register motorcycles in the roadway.
- Tailgating: Following too closely is dangerous driving behavior, particularly when a much larger vehicle is tailgating a motorcycle. When a rear-end collision occurs, a rider can be thrown from the bike and may be hit by other vehicles on the road.
- Distracted driving: With the advance of technology, distracted driving has become a menace for everyone on the roadways. Motorcyclists are particularly at risk from distracted drivers because they do not have the same protections as people in passenger vehicles.
- Driving under the influence: Impaired driving is illegal in New York and all states in the U.S. for a good reason. Alcohol and drug use contribute to many motor vehicle accidents, including motorcycle crashes.
- Dooring: This type of crash occurs when an occupant of a parked vehicle opens a car door in the path of a motorcyclist. Dooring accidents can cause serious injuries.
What Are Your Options After a Serious Motorcycle Crash in Buffalo?
If you have been hurt in a motorcycle crash, you may be entitled to seek compensation for your losses – physical, financial, and emotional. Damages you are entitled to claim will depend on the circumstances of your case. If someone else caused your motorcycle accident and injuries, you may be entitled to claim:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages or earnings
- Property damage
- Loss of future earnings
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
How Can Russell Friedman Law Group Help?
Our experienced Buffalo motorcycle accident attorneys at Russell Friedman Law Group can handle your motorcycle accident claim while you focus on recovering from your injuries. Our trusted team of personal injury lawyers can investigate your accident to establish fault and liability and help you hold responsible parties accountable. We have the knowledge, skills, and resources to effectively pursue the compensation you need and deserve.
Call us at (716) 335-9239 to schedule a free consultation after a serious motorcycle accident. We can tell you if you have a case and what damages you may be entitled to claim.
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.