Buffalo Truck Accidents Attorney
With more semi-trucks than ever clogging interstates and highways, truck accidents are on the rise in the U.S. Fueled by the dramatic increase in online shopping and disruptions to global supply chains, truckers are taking over America’s roadways. The result is more deadly collisions involving 4,000 lb. passenger vehicles and 80,000 lb. commercial trucks.
What Are the Most Recent Truck Accident Statistics?
- 4,965 people were killed in large truck accidents in 2020, the most recent year for which statistics are available, as stated by the National Safety Council (NSC).
- Truck accident fatalities were up by 31% since 2011.
- 71% of people who died in large truck crashes were occupants of other vehicles.
- 12% of truck accident fatalities were nonoccupants (pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcyclists)
- 147,000 injuries were caused by large truck accidents.
- 73.29% of fatal truck crashes occurred on non-interstate roads.
- 26.71% happened on interstates.
What Makes Truck Accidents Deadly for Other Motorists?
A fully-loaded 18-wheeler can weigh 80,000 lbs. or more. The average passenger car weighs 4,000 lbs. In a collision between a car and large commercial truck, by the laws of physics, occupants of the car are likely to suffer serious or fatal injuries. Only 17% of the people killed in truck accidents in 2020 were occupants of large commercial trucks. The majority of fatalities were people in other vehicles.
What Factors Make Large Trucks More Likely to Crash?
A high level of skill is required to safely operate a big rig. In addition to their considerable size and weight, other characteristics of semi-trucks can increase the risk of a crash, including:
- Longer stopping distances: Because of their size, weight, and design, large commercial trucks need more time and distance to come to a stop than passenger vehicles. While a car traveling at 65 mph needs approximately 300 feet to stop, a fully-loaded commercial truck traveling at the same speed requires approximately twice the distance.
- Large blind spots: Big semi-trucks have large blind spots on all four sides, particularly the right. These blind spots make it nearly impossible for truckers to see other vehicles. Blind spot truck accidents can happen when truck drivers are switching lanes or when other drivers are passing trucks.
- Less maneuverability: Semi tractor-trailers do not handle as easily as passenger cars. It is much more difficult for a truck driver to make last minute maneuvers to avoid obstacles, such as a vehicle broken down in the lane or rocks or debris on the road. Sudden, abrupt maneuvers could cause the rig to jackknife or roll over.
- Shifting cargo: The purpose of big rigs is to haul cargo. When cargo is improperly loaded or secured, it can shift during transport and cause the truck to roll over or jackknife. The wrecked truck may cover several lanes of traffic, causing a multi-vehicle pileup.
Do You Need an Attorney After a Truck Accident?
If you have been injured in a collision involving a large commercial truck, it is essential to have an experienced truck accident lawyer handling your claim. Truck accidents are complex cases, involving state and federal regulations and multiple potentially liable parties. They can cause severe injuries, requiring extensive medical treatment and time away from work, resulting in significant damages. Trucking companies and their insurers have teams of lawyers to fight against claims in high-stakes cases.
Why Call Russell Friedman Law Group?
Our Buffalo truck accident attorneys at Russell Friedman Law Group have a passion for justice and a reputation for excellence. We have extensive experience and a successful track record recovering compensation for our seriously injured clients.
Contact us at (716) 335-9239 to schedule a free consultation after a serious truck accident.
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.