Derry Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Most riders are aware of the risks of riding a motorcycle, but they don’t let that keep them away from an activity they enjoy. Motorcyclists are more likely to be seriously injured in a crash than passenger vehicle occupants because they lack seat belts, airbags, and the protections of an enclosed vehicle. Skill and diligence are not always enough to keep riders safe. Many motorcycle accidents are caused by other drivers.
How Do Other Drivers Cause Motorcycle Crashes?
Motorcycles are smaller, less visible, and less stable than four-wheeled passenger vehicles. Other drivers cause motorcycle crashes in several different ways:
- Left turns: Of all fatal collisions involving motorcycles and another vehicle, 42% are caused by a vehicle turning left while a motorcycle is going straight or passing or overtaking a vehicle, as reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Drivers fail to check their blind spots in their rear and side view mirrors or simply fail to see motorcycles in the roadway.
- Unsafe lane changes: Motorcycles are smaller and easier to miss in a driver’s blind spots. Drivers who fail to stay alert, signal, and carefully check their blind spots before changing lanes can crash into motorcycles or cut them off.
- Failure to see motorcycles: According to NHTSA, 41% of all motorcycle accidents occur because other drivers fail to see the motorcycles. Drivers are looking for larger vehicles on the road. Fog, rain, bright sun, heavy traffic, construction, bends in the road, distracted driving, and other factors can contribute to driver failure to spot motorcycles in the roadway.
- Following too closely: Instead of applying their brakes, motorcyclists often downshift or roll off the throttle to slow down. Without braking, there is no brake light to signal drivers behind. As riders often decelerate faster and downshift to brake, drivers traveling behind a motorcycle need to allow more stopping distance. Tailgating motorcycles can lead to serious rear-end collisions.
- Dooring: A driver or passenger in a parked vehicle can cause a deadly collision by opening a car door in the path of an oncoming motorcyclist. With a split second to react, the rider must choose between swerving into traffic, which could set off a chain reaction, multi-vehicle collision, or crashing into the car door. Dooring accidents can cause severe injuries, including fractured or dislocated bones, internal organ damage, traumatic brain injury, lacerations, and spinal cord injury.
What Are the Statistics on Motorcycle Accidents?
As stated by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS):
- 5,579 motorcyclists were killed in crashes in 2020.
- This figure represents an 11% increase over the previous year and the highest number of motorcyclist fatalities since NHTSA began collecting fatal crash data in 1975.
- Motorcyclists account for 14% of all traffic crash deaths.
- Per vehicle miles traveled, the number of deaths on motorcycles is nearly 29 times the number in cars.
- Wearing a helmet reduces the risk of dying in a motorcycle crash by an estimated 37%.
- The rate of fatal crashes for motorcycles equipped with antilock brakes is 22% lower than for motorcycles without them.
How Can You Recover Compensation After a Motorcycle Crash?
If you have been hurt in a motorcycle accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you have a right to pursue compensation for your injuries. Damages you may be entitled to claim from the at-fault party may include medical expenses, lost wages, loss of future earning potential, property damage, impairment, scarring and disfigurement, pain and suffering, and other losses. Your best chance of recovering full compensation is to have an experienced Derry motorcycle accident lawyer handling your claim.
At Russell Friedman Law Group, we have extensive experience successfully representing injured clients. Our Derry personal injury lawyers stand up for injury victims when insurance companies try to minimize their damages or deny their claims.
Contact us at (603) 556-8666 to find out how we can help after a serious motorcycle accident.
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.