Garden City Motorcycle Accidents
Without a doubt, riding a motorcycle is riskier than driving a car. Motorcyclists are nearly 29 times more likely to die in a crash than passenger vehicle occupants, according to the Insurance Information Institute (III). Many motorcycle accidents are someone else’s fault. If you have been seriously injured through the negligence of another, you have a right to seek compensation from the responsible party.
How Common Are Motorcycle Accidents?
III reports that in the most recent year for which nationwide statistics are available, there were:
- 5,114 motorcycles involved in crashes
- 84,000 motorcycle crash injuries
- Injury rate of 975 per 100,000 registered motorcycles
- 5,014 motorcyclist fatalities
- Fatality rate of 58.33 per 100,000 registered motorcycles
What Makes Motorcycles More Dangerous than Cars?
Motorcycles are smaller and less visible than cars, trucks, vans, or SUVs. They are also considerably less stable than four-wheeled passenger vehicles. Motorcyclists lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle, including seatbelts and airbags. Drivers may fail to see motorcycles in their blind spots. Because they are looking for larger vehicles, they may simply fail to register motorcycles in the roadway. Potholes, uneven pavement, gravel, water, or debris on the road present serious hazards for motorcyclists. In a crash, riders are likely to be thrown from the bike, suffer severe injuries, and run the risk of being hit by another vehicle.
What Causes Motorcycle Crashes in Garden City?
Many motorcycle accidents are caused by the negligence of other drivers. For example, motorcycle crashes can occur because of:
- Unsafe lane changes: Drivers who fail to perform a head check before switching lanes may not see motorcycles in their blind spots.
- Left turns at intersections: Drivers executing left turns against oncoming traffic may turn directly into the path of a motorcyclist traveling straight through the intersection on a green light.
- Tailgating: Following too closely is dangerous driving behavior under any circumstances, but particularly deadly when it leads to a 4,000 lb. car rear-ending a motorcycle.
- Distracted driving: Drivers who are texting, talking on cell phones, or otherwise distracted are more likely to cause a collision with a motorcyclist.
- Drunk or drugged driving: Alcohol or drug-impaired driving puts everyone on the roadway at risk, particularly motorcyclists, who lack the protections of passenger vehicle occupants.
- Head-on collisions: Deadly head-on crashes can occur when a driver veers into a lane of oncoming traffic or goes the wrong way on a one-way road.
- Dooring: This type of crash happens when a passenger vehicle occupant suddenly opens a car door directly into the path of an oncoming motorcyclist.
- Debris on the road: An obstacle in the road that falls off a truck or another vehicle may force a rider to swerve and lose control of the bike.
What Kind of Compensation is Available for a Motorcycle Accident?
Motorcyclists are not protected under New York’s no-fault, Personal Injury Protection (PIP) auto insurance laws. However, injured motorcyclists may still pursue compensation from responsible parties. Unlike motorists entitled to no-fault protections, they are not required to prove they have suffered a serious injury to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you have been hurt in a motorcycle accident that was someone else’s fault, depending on the circumstances, you may be entitled to seek damages that may include medical expenses, lost earnings, loss of future earning potential, property damage, pain and suffering, and other losses.
What Can We Do to Help?
At Russell Friedman Law Group, we are committed to putting your best interests first. Our Garden City personal injury attorneys can investigate your motorcycle accident to determine fault and liability and vigorously pursue the maximum compensation available on your behalf.
Contact us today at (516) 714-5975 to schedule a free consultation.
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.