Garden City Truck Accidents
The number of truck accidents in the U.S. has been increasing for over a decade. In 2009, 53,000 large trucks were involved in injury crashes, as compared to 107,000 in 2020, according to the National Safety Council (NSC). The number of trucks involved in fatal accidents rose from 3,211 in 2009 to 4,842 in 2020. When a collision occurs between a passenger vehicle and a large commercial truck, passenger vehicle occupants are likely to suffer the most serious injuries.
The following truck accident statistics for 2020 are provided by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS):
- 4,014 people were killed in large truck crashes.
- 68% of the people who died were occupants of cars or passenger vehicles.
- 16% of truck accident fatalities were pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists.
- Truck accidents fatalities were 28% higher in 2020 than in 2009.
- 36% of fatal truck accidents in 2020 occurred on interstates and freeways.
- 47% occurred on other major roads.
What Are the Causes of Truck Accidents?
Many different factors can contribute to accidents involving large commercial trucks. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) conducted a large study to examine the reasons for serious crashes involving large trucks. FMCSA lists the top 10 contributing factors associated with large trucks and their drivers in The Large Truck Causation Study -- Analysis Brief:
- Brake problems
- Traffic flow interruption (congestion, previous crash)
- Prescription drug use
- Traveling too fast for conditions
- Unfamiliarity with roadway
- Roadway problems
- Required to stop before crash (traffic control device, crosswalk)
- Over-the-counter drug use
- Inadequate surveillance
The critical reason for the crash, whether single-vehicle or multi-vehicle, was assigned to large trucks in 55% of the accidents studied: 87% to drivers, 10% to vehicles, and 3% to the environment.
Who May Be Held Liable for Truck Accidents in Garden City?
There may be multiple potentially liable parties in a truck accident case, including:
- Truck driver’s negligent or reckless driving conduct caused the truck accident.
- Trucking company, if they cut corners regarding safety, failed to maintain equipment, or pressured a driver to violate hours of service regulations to deliver cargo.
- Owner of the truck (other than the trucking company) if it failed to properly inspect and maintain the vehicle.
- Cargo loaders, if improperly loaded cargo shifted and caused a crash or if improperly secured cargo fell off the truck.
- Parts manufacturer, if mechanical failure, such as tire blowouts or faulty brakes, contributed to the truck accident.
Our Garden City truck accident attorneys can investigate the crash to determine fault and liability and vigorously pursue compensation from all responsible parties.
What Compensation Is Available for a Truck Accident?
If you have been hurt in a truck accident that was someone else’s fault, you are entitled to pursue compensation for your losses. Compensatory damages may include past and future medical expenses, lost earnings, loss of future earning capacity, permanent disability, property damage, pain and suffering, emotional distress, diminished quality of life, and other losses. Our Garden City personal injury attorneys can assess the full extent of your damages.
Why Do You Need a Lawyer for a Truck Accident Case?
Injuries may be severe in a crash involving a large commercial truck and a passenger vehicle. Truck accidents tend to be complex, high stakes cases. Trucking companies and their insurers have teams of defense lawyers ready to fight against your claim. Your best chance of recovering full compensation is to have experienced truck accident attorneys handling your claim.
At Russell Friedman Law Group, we have the knowledge, skills, and resources to effectively pursue the recovery you need and deserve. Contact us at (516) 714-5975 to schedule a free consultation after a serious truck accident.
Experienced Legal ProfessionalsMeet the Team that Can Win Your Case
Russell C. Friedman
Founding Partner, 1958 – 2021
Bruce M. Klein
Charles H. Horn
Ron F. Wright
Erin S. Stamper
Alexander H. Mun
Pablo A. Fernandez
Ryan C. Woodworth
Phillip H. Kim
Spencer D. Shapiro
Counsel - Pending Admission
What Sets Us Apart From Our Competitors?
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.
Recent News & Events
Russell Friedman & Associates Sponsored the Korean American Youth Foundation’s Golf OutingView Article
Russell Friedman & Associates is Sponsoring the Medisys GalaView Article
Brooklyn Federal Judge Rules that PLRA Still Applies To Cases With Amended ComplaintsView Article
- Civil Rights,