Manchester Dog Bites Lawyer
An attack by a dog can be a painful, traumatic experience. Dog bites can cause serious injuries, particularly in young children. If you or your child has been bitten by a dog in Manchester, you are entitled to seek compensation from the dog’s owner under state law.
What Are the Facts About Dog Bites?
- Dog bites pose a serious health risk, as stated by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).
- Between 83 million and 88 million dogs are living in the U.S.
- 45% of households have at least one dog.
- Any dog can bite, regardless of breed, size, age, or sex.
- More than 4.5 million people in the U.S. are bitten by dogs every year.
- More than 800,000 people each year receive medical treatment for dog bites.
- One in every five people bitten by dogs requires medical attention.
- Children are the most common dog bite victims and far more likely to suffer severe injuries.
Why Do Dogs Attack People?
Like people, dogs are individuals. They can bite for any number of reasons, usually as some type of reaction. Dogs may bite to defend their territory, or when they are frightened or startled. They can bite when they are ill or injured, when they feel threatened, or to protect their puppies, their food, or their toys. Dogs may also bite during play if it gets too rowdy.
How Can You Avoid Being Bitten by a Dog?
Some dog attacks can be prevented by avoiding risky situations and knowing when and when not to interact with dogs. It is important to pay attention to a dog’s body language. According to AVMA, you should never pet a dog if:
- The dog is not with its owner.
- The owner has not given you permission to pet the dog.
- The dog is on the other side of a fence.
- The dog is sleeping, eating, ill, injured, protecting puppies, or playing with a toy.
- It appears that the dog is hiding or wants to be left alone.
- The dog is growling or barking.
What Are the Dog Bite Laws in New Hampshire?
New Hampshire is a strict liability state for dog bites. Dog owners are strictly liable for damages caused by their animals – injured parties are not required to prove negligence. Dog keepers and possessors can be held accountable, as well as owners. The exception to the rule is when the person bitten by a dog was committing a criminal act at the time of the attack.
What Types of Compensation Are You Entitled to Claim for Dog Bites?
Dog bite victims in Manchester and across New Hampshire may seek financial compensation for related physical and emotional damages. Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be eligible to claim compensation for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages or earnings
- Loss of future earnings
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress.
Do You Need a Lawyer for Dog Bites in Manchester?
After a serious dog attack, you are entitled to seek compensation from the animal’s owner without proving that the owner was negligent under New Hampshire law. Many homeowners insurance policies cover dog bite liability. However, insurance companies may try to minimize your damages or deny your claim altogether. Your best chance of recovering full compensation for severe injuries is to have experienced Manchester dog bite attorneys by your side.
Why Choose Us?
The Russell Friedman Law Group is an experienced law firm with a team of trusted attorneys, committed to putting your best interests first. We have a reputation for excellence and a history of success for our clients. Our Manchester personal injury lawyers offer personalized representation, along with creative and innovative solutions.
Contact us at (603) 716-9415 for help if you or your child has been injured by someone else’s dog.
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.