Manchester Motorcycle Accidents Lawyer
There is no doubt that riding a motorcycle is riskier than driving a car. Based on the most recent statistics available, per vehicle miles traveled, nearly 29 times more deaths occur on motorcycles, as reported by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). Although motorcycles account for only 3% of all registered vehicles and .6% of all vehicle miles traveled, 14% of all traffic fatalities are motorcyclists, as stated by the National Safety Council (NSC).
What Makes Riding a Motorcycle More of a Risk?
Riders have a higher risk of being seriously injured in a crash than occupants of passenger vehicles for several reasons:
- Motorcycles are smaller and less visible than cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs. Drivers looking for larger vehicles may fail to see motorcycles in the roadway or miss them in their blind spots.
- Motorcycles are less stable than four-wheeled vehicles. Riders may not be able to maintain control if they are forced to swerve to avoid an obstacle in the road. Potholes, sand, gravel, uneven pavement, water, and other road hazards can cause a rider to crash.
- Motorcycle riders lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle. There are no seatbelts, airbags, or surrounding metal frames to protect them from injury. In a motorcycle collision, riders are likely to be thrown from the bike.
What Are Some Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Manchester?
Like car accidents, motorcycle crashes have several contributing factors. Other vehicles are involved in most motorcycle accidents, and many of these crashes are caused by the negligence of other drivers. Common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Negligent left turns: In a recent year, 2,495 fatal crashes involving a motorcycle and another type of vehicle occurred in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). In 1,034 (41%) of these fatal motorcycle accidents, another driver was turning left while the motorcyclist was going straight, passing, or overtaking another vehicle.
- Following too closely: Tailgating any vehicle is dangerous. It can lead to a rear-end collision if the driver ahead must stop or slow down suddenly. When a car follows too closely behind a motorcycle, it can be deadly for the motorcyclist.
- Unsafe lane changes: Motorcycles are smaller and more difficult to spot than larger passenger vehicles. Drivers who fail to signal and carefully check their blind sports before changing lanes can collide with motorcycles.
- DUI: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs puts everyone on the road at risk, including motorcyclists. In 2020, alcohol impaired driving killed 11,654 people in the U.S., as reported by NHTSA.
- Speeding: For decades, speeding has been involved in more than one-third of all motor vehicle fatalities, according to NHTSA. Traveling at excessive speeds increases the risk of losing control of the vehicle and the time needed to stop to avoid a crash. It also increases the impact of a collision.
- Distracted drivers: Many motorcycle accidents are caused by drivers who fail to see motorcycles in the road. This is more likely to occur when a driver is distracted by texting or talking on a cell phone, eating, drinking, talking with a passenger, or anything that takes attention away from driving the car.
- Dooring: A motorcyclist can be severely injured when an occupant of a parked vehicle opens a car door in the path of the motorcycle. The rider may be forced to make a split-second decision – swerve into traffic or crash into the car door.
If you have been hurt in a motorcycle accident caused by someone else’s negligence, call the Russell Friedman Law Group at (603) 716-9415. Our Manchester motorcycle accident attorneys have the knowledge, skills, and resources to effectively pursue the compensation you deserve.
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.