Premises Liability Cases in Portland, ME
“Premises liability” is the legal concept that allows an injured person to seek compensation when an injury on another’s property resulted from a dangerous condition. A property owner has the legal obligation to maintain safe premises for those present on the property, or to post warnings if an unsafe condition exists that could pose a risk to health or life.
Types of Premises Liability Cases
A premises liability case could occur at a home, in a public place, in a government building, at a school, on a sidewalk, or at an amusement park, playground, bar, hotel, apartment, sports event, or literally any location. Some of the most common types of premises liability cases include but are not limited to:
- Pool accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Trip and fall accidents
- Toxic exposure
- Dog bites
- Elevator and escalator accidents
- Lack of adequate security
- Unsafe walking surfaces
How to Seek Compensation in a Premises Liability Case
The process of pursuing compensation involves establishing four basic elements, all of which are necessary in a successful claim:
- Duty of care: It must be proven that the property owner owed the injured person a “duty of care,” or the expectation that they would be reasonably safe while on the property.
- Breach: It must be established that the actions, or lack of action, breached (violated) the duty of care owed to the property visitor.
- Causation: It must be proven that the breach of duty of care was the cause of the injuries sustained by the person.
- Damages: It must be proven that the injuries sustained led to damages, such as the cost of medical care, rehabilitation, ongoing treatment and care, lost wages, lost earning capacity, and more personal losses such as pain and suffering and loss of quality of life, to name a few.
Types of Injuries: Premises Liability Cases in Portland, ME
The injuries that occur on premises owned by another party can vary widely. Some of the most common types of injuries include:
- Assaults leading to severe physical and emotional injuries
- Drowning cases leading to brain damage, broken bones, coma, or death
- Trip or slip and fall cases causing brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, back injuries, etc.
- Falls causing severe bodily damage due to inadequate lighting, uneven walking surfaces, stairs
- Lung and body damage caused by exposure to toxic chemicals
- Severe bodily injuries inflicted by a vicious dog
- Burns with long-term consequences in cases of fire or explosions
How Much is a Case Worth?
The valuation of an injury claim is a complex activity. Every detail must be reviewed and valued, including the actual financial losses, and the emotional impact associated with a serious or disabling injury. At Russell Friedman Law Group, we have the resources of medical and financial experts, and the legal experience to correctly value injury cases, craft a compelling case, negotiate with an insurance company, or present a persuasive case to a jury in civil court. Most insurance companies want to avoid a trial; that doesn’t mean they won’t attempt to reduce the value of a valid claim. We are very familiar with the process of valuing injury cases and applying pressure to bring about a favorable outcome.
Why Choose Us?
In Portland Maine, and throughout the country, you have many options when searching for a law firm. At Russell Friedman Law Group, we are personally committed to the people we serve, and provide client-focused, results-oriented legal counsel in cases of serious injury. We have the vast resources that may be necessary in complex cases, and when we represent an injured person, we go the distance to pursue fair and full compensation. We invite you to reach out to us for a free case consultation. When we take on a case, it is on a contingency fee basis – no legal fees unless we are successful.
Contact us at Russell Friedman Law Group at (855) 465-4622 to discuss your legal options in premises liability claims in Portland, ME.
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.