Rochester Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Most riders are aware that riding a motorcycle is inherently riskier than driving a car. They rely on strong skills and sharp focus to help them stay safe on the road and better enjoy the ride. In fact, many motorcycle accidents are caused by other drivers. If you have been hurt in such a crash, you may be entitled to pursue compensation for your injuries.
What Are the Facts About Motorcycle Accidents?
- Per vehicle miles traveled, motorcyclists are nearly 29 times more likely to die in a crash than occupants of passenger vehicles, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
- 5,579 motorcycle fatalities occurred in 2020, the most recent year for which statistics are available.
- Motorcyclists accounted for 14% of all traffic fatalities in 2020, as reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- 84,000 motorcyclist injuries occurred in the U.S. in 2019, at an injury rate of 975 per 100,000 registered motorcycles, as stated by the Insurance Information Institute (III).
What Makes Motorcycles More Dangerous than Passenger Vehicles?
Motorcycles are smaller than passenger vehicles and less visible to other drivers. They are less stable than four-wheeled vehicles and more susceptible to road hazards. Motorcyclists lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle and can be thrown from the bike in a crash.
How Do Motorcycle Accidents Happen?
Many motorcycle accidents occur because of someone else’s negligence. Common causes include:
- Unsafe lane changes: Drivers who fail to perform a head check and signal before switching lanes may collide with motorcycles in their blind spots.
- Left turns at intersections: This is a leading cause of motorcycle accidents. A driver executing a left turn pulls directly into the path of an oncoming motorcycle traveling straight through the intersection on a green light.
- Dooring: A crash can occur when a driver in a parked vehicle opens a car door in the path of an oncoming motorcycle.
- Tailgating: Following too closely is dangerous driving behavior under any circumstances. When a passenger vehicle tailgates a motorcycle, it can have deadly consequences.
- Distracted driving: Drivers who are texting, talking on the phone, checking social media, applying makeup, conversing with a passenger, or otherwise distracted are more likely to cause a collision with a motorcycle.
- Impaired driving: Alcohol and drugs impair a driver’s ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. Alcohol-impaired driving was involved in 34% of motorcycle fatalities in 2019, as reported by III.
- Pulling out in front of a motorcycle: A driver traveling in the same direction as a motorcycle may pull out in front, cutting off the motorcyclist and causing a crash. Some drivers who are looking for larger vehicles simply fail to register a motorcycle in the roadway.
What Types of Injuries Do Motorcycle Accidents Cause?
Motorcyclists are vulnerable to serious injuries in a crash. Common motorcycle accidents injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Lower extremity injuries
- Upper extremity injuries
- Fractured bones
- Disfiguring facial injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Internal injuries
- Road rash
When Should You Call a Lawyer?
Get prompt medical treatment for your injuries as your priority after a serious motorcycle accident. As soon as you are able, contact an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer. The sooner you get legal representation, the sooner your attorney can investigate your accident and secure vital evidence to support your claim.
Our Rochester motorcycle accident lawyers at Russell Friedman Law Group have been representing severely injured accident victims for decades. We know how to determine liability and how to prove it, and we are ready to take your case to court if necessary to get the compensation you deserve.
If you have been hurt in a motorcycle accident that was someone else’s fault, call us at (585) 245-0255 to find out how we can help.
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.