Rochester Truck Accident Lawyers
With more commercial trucks on the roads today than ever before, truck accidents are on the rise in New York and across the nation. When a semi-truck collides with a passenger vehicle, the consequences can be devastating. If you or your loved one has been injured in a truck accident, speak with an experienced lawyer as soon as you can.
How Often Do Truck Accidents Happen?
- In the most recent year for which statistics are available, nearly 5,000 people were killed in truck accidents in the U.S., according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) crash stats.
- 831 of those fatalities were occupants of large trucks.
- 3,512 were occupants of other vehicles.
- 622 were nonoccupants (motorcyclists, bicyclists, or pedestrians).
- 146,930 people were injured in large truck accidents.
Why Are There So Many Trucks on the Roads Today?
The growth of e-commerce has had a major influence on the trucking industry. More online shopping means more trucks on the road. Online sales have more than doubled in less than a decade. To compound the problem, online retailers are offering expedited next-day or two-day shipping, which means longer hours on the road for truckers to meet deadlines and increases the risk of fatigued driving.
What Are the Causes of Truck Accidents?
Truck accidents happen for a variety of reasons, many of which may involve negligence on the part of the truck driver, the trucking company, or another party. Common causes of truck accidents include:
- Fatigued driving: Commercial truck drivers are subject to federal regulations that limit the number of hours they are allowed to drive without rest. Nevertheless, trucking companies may set unrealistic deadlines, drivers may not always follow the rules, and fatigued driving can lead to deadly truck accidents.
- Distracted driving: Truckers who spend long hours on the road may be distracted by texting, talking on the phone, checking email or social media, eating, drinking, fiddling with the radio, or any number of things that could take their attention away from operating a big rig.
- Drug or alcohol impairment: According to a recent study on psychoactive substance use by truck drivers, approximately half of truck drivers surveyed admitted to drinking and driving and 30% admitted to using amphetamines, as discussed in a Reuters article. Approximately 8% of drivers tested positive for amphetamines, 20% admitted to using marijuana, and 3% reported using cocaine.
- Aggressive driving: Truck drivers travel long distances and spend long hours behind the wheel. Under pressure to make deliveries on time, they may be prone to speeding and other aggressive driving behavior, such as following too closely, cutting off other drivers, or failing to yield the right of way.
- Brake failure: The brake system on a fully-loaded 18-wheeler weighing 80,000 lbs. or more is subject to a great deal of stress. It is essential that the brakes on a big rig are properly adjusted and regularly inspected for any signs of wear and tear. Brake failure is a leading cause of truck accidents.
- Improperly loaded cargo: If a truck is overloaded or the load is not properly balanced or secured, the truck could jackknife or roll over, or cargo could fall out onto the highway, creating dangerous obstacles for other motorists.
How Can Russell Friedman Law Group Help?
After a serious truck accident, your best chance of recovering full compensation is to have an experienced personal injury attorney by your side. Our Rochester truck accident lawyers at Russell Friedman Law Group can investigate your accident to determine fault and liability and secure evidence to support your claim. We can build a strong case based on the facts, assess the full extent of your damages, negotiate skillfully with insurance companies on your behalf, and fight for the compensation you deserve in court if necessary.
Call us at (585) 245-0255 to schedule a free consultation if you have been hurt in an accident with a large commercial truck.
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.