Hackensack NJ Car Accident Attorneys
Car accidents are a fact of life today. No matter how diligently we drive, we could be involved in a collision through someone else’s negligence. A total of 190,783 traffic crashes occurred statewide in 2020, according to the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT). In Bergen County alone, there were 19,472 motor vehicle accidents. If you have been injured in a car accident that was someone else’s fault, it is in your best interest to speak with an experienced Hackensack personal injury attorney.
How Do Most Car Accidents Happen?
Many different factors can contribute to car accidents in Hackensack and across the nation. The main contributing factor is human error. Most traffic crashes are caused by some type of driver negligence. Common causes include:
- Distracted driving: Drivers should have their eyes on the road, their hands on the wheel, and their attention on driving. Any activity that distracts a driver could lead to a crash.
- Drunk driving: In 2020, 11,654 people died in drunk driving crashes in the U.S., as reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Drugged driving: Drug-impaired driving can be as dangerous as drunk driving. Substances that can cause impairment include legal and illegal drugs and prescription and over-the-counter medications.
- Fatigued driving: Drowsy driving is a major problem in the U.S., as stated by the CDC. An estimated one in 25 adult drivers reported having fallen asleep at the wheel within the previous 30 days.
- Aggressive driving: This dangerous driving behavior may involve excessive speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating, running red lights and stop signs, and failing to yield the right-of-way to other drivers.
What Are the Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in New Jersey?
Auto insurance is mandatory for all drivers under New Jersey law, but types and amounts of coverage can vary. A lower cost basic policy was made available to all drivers under the Automobile Insurance Cost Reduction Act. It provides the following coverage:
- $10,000 bodily injury liability per accident (optional)
- $5,000 property damage liability per accident
- $15,000 personal injury protection per person, per accident (up to $250,000 for certain injuries)
- Comprehensive and collision available as an option from some insurers
State law also provides for a standard auto insurance policy that offers more protection at a higher cost. Coverage under the standard policy includes:
- $15,000 to $250,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $30,000 to $500,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $5,000 to $100,000 or more property damage liability per accident
- $15,000 per person or per accident to $250,000 or more in personal injury protection
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage available up to amounts selected for liability coverage
- Collision and comprehensive available as an option
Who Is Financially Responsible for Car Accidents?
New Jersey is a no-fault insurance state for car accidents. Generally, under this system, if you are involved in a crash, you file a claim with your own insurance company to recover compensation for medical expenses and lost wages. New Jersey offers drivers a choice between the basic and the standard auto insurance policy. Drivers who choose the basic policy are typically limited to no-fault coverage after a crash, but the right to sue is expanded for drivers who choose a standard policy. Drivers who opt for unlimited right to sue may seek full compensation for damages related to their injuries.
Our experienced Hackensack car accident lawyers at Russell Friedman Law Group can review your auto insurance policy and help you obtain the maximum compensation available after a serious crash. We are a respected law firm, known for our integrity, honesty, and results-driven representation.
Let us help you after a car accident with injuries. Call us at (201) 654-0023 to schedule a free consultation.
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.