Binghamton Car Accidents
Car accidents are on the rise across the nation. Vehicle miles traveled on U.S. roadways increased by 325 billion miles (11%) from 2020 to 2021. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates 42,915 traffic fatalities in 2021, representing a 10.5% increase over the previous year, as reported by CNBC. Fatalities on urban roadways and deaths in multi-vehicle crashes each rose by 16%. Pedestrian fatalities were up by 13%, and deaths caused by crashes involving a large truck were also up by 13%.
How Big Is the Problem of Traffic Crashes in New York and Binghamton?
- On average, in a recent three-year period, motor vehicle accidents in New York resulted in 1,098 deaths, 12,093 hospitalizations, and 136,913 emergency department visits per year, as reported by the New York State Department of Health.
- In Broome County, traffic crash injuries are the fourth leading cause of injury-related death, the fourth leading cause of injury-related hospitalizations, and a leading cause of emergency room visits.
- Motor vehicle accidents for Broome County residents caused a yearly average of 14 deaths, 112 hospitalizations, and 1,134 emergency room visits.
- 28% of Broome County residents who were hospitalized after a traffic crash were diagnosed with traumatic brain injury.
How Do Car Accidents Happen in Binghamton?
Various factors can contribute to car accidents, including weather conditions, hazardous road conditions, and equipment failure. However, many traffic crashes are caused by human error or negligent driving behavior. Common causes of car accidents in New York include:
- Driver distraction or inattention: To safely operate a vehicle, drivers must have their hands on the wheel, their eyes on the road, and their attention on driving. Texting is a particularly dangerous form of driver distraction because it requires manual, visual, and cognitive attention.
- Speeding: For more than two decades, speeding has been involved in approximately one-third of all traffic fatalities, as stated by NHTSA. In 2020, speeding killed more than 11,000 people in the U.S.
- Failure to yield the right-of-way: Drivers cause accidents when they violate right-of-way and cut off other vehicles.
- Following too closely: Tailgating is a leading cause of rear-end collisions. It can be particularly dangerous at highway speeds.
- Unsafe lane changes: Accidents can happen when drivers fail to signal, fail to check their blind spots, or cut off other drivers while changing lanes.
- Impaired driving: Alcohol or drug-impaired driving is a leading cause of car accidents in New York and across the nation. Every day in the U.S., 32 people die in drunk-driving crashes – one every 45 minutes – as stated by the NHTSA.
- Failure to obey traffic signs and signals: Drivers who run red lights or stop signs cause T-bone collisions and other types of accidents and put others on the road at risk.
What Types of Compensation Are Available for Car Accident Victims?
Our Binghamton car accident attorneys can assess the full extent of your damages and pursue the maximum compensation available in your case. Depending on the specific circumstances, your damages may include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages or earnings
- Loss of earning capacity
- Property damage
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
After a free consultation with a Binghamton personal injury lawyer, we can tell if you have a valid case and what damages you may be entitled to claim.
Why Choose Russell Friedman Law Group?
Our trusted team of attorneys at Russell Friedman Law Group are known for our integrity and honesty. We provide results-driven representation with personalized legal strategies and work diligently to secure the best possible results for our clients.
If you have been injured in a car accident that was someone else’s fault, call us at (607) 600-2748 to find out what we can do for you.
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.