Garden City Car Accidents
No matter how carefully you drive, it is not always possible to avoid a car accident. Negligent behavior of other drivers increases the risk of being involved in a crash. Traffic fatalities increased in 2021 in various categories, including the following, as reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- Multi-vehicle crashes
- Wrecks involving drivers 65 and older
- Collisions involving large trucks
- Speeding-related crashes
- Alcohol-impaired wrecks
- Accidents on urban roads
- Daytime traffic deaths
If you have been seriously injured in a car accident that was someone else’s fault, your best chance of recovering full compensation for your losses is to have an experienced Garden City car accident attorney by your side.
How Do Car Accidents Happen in Garden City?
Different factors can contribute to traffic crashes, many of which involve human error. Common causes of car accidents include:
- Distracted driving: This has become a major problem with increased cell phone use in recent years. Distracted driving is anything that takes the driver’s attention away from operating the motor vehicle. Texting while driving is particularly alarming, as it requires visual, manual, and cognitive attention.
- Impaired driving: Alcohol, marijuana, controlled substances, and certain prescription and over-the-counter drugs can all impair a person’s ability to safely operate a vehicle. Drug or alcohol-impaired driving is a criminal offense for very good reasons.
- Aggressive driving: This is a combination of dangerous driving behaviors that show disregard for the safety of others. Aggressive driving may involve excessive speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating, running red lights or stop signs, failing to yield the right-of-way, and cutting other drivers off.
- Drowsy driving: Fatigue or lack of sleep can make it unsafe to get behind the wheel of a vehicle. Driving drowsy is similar to driving under the influence of alcohol, according to the National Safety Council (NSC). Fatigue affects reaction time and ability to sustain attention and significantly increases the risk of a crash.
What Types of Damages Can You Recover for a Car Accident That Was Not Your Fault?
If someone else caused your car accident, you may be entitled to file a claim for compensatory damages – both economic and noneconomic. Depending on the circumstances of your case, economic damages may include medical expenses, lost wages, loss of future earning capacity, and vehicle repair or replacement costs. Noneconomic damages may include physical pain and suffering, emotional trauma, mental anguish, and loss of enjoyment of life.
What Should You Do After a Car Accident Caused by Another Driver?
If you are involved in a car collision through the fault of another:
- Get emergency medical attention for anyone who needs it and report the accident to the police.
- Take pictures of the accident scene with your smartphone if you are able. Get shots of the damage to the vehicles and their relative positions, any skid marks or road debris, and any visible injuries you or your passengers sustained.
- Exchange information with the other drivers involved in the crash.
- Get names and contact information for any eyewitnesses at the scene.
- Look for any dashcam or surveillance camera footage of the accident.
- Get prompt medical treatment, for the sake of your health, and to document your injuries.
- Speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
Why Choose Us?
Our Garden City car accident attorneys at Russell Friedman Law Group are dedicated to securing optimal results for the clients we serve. We have extensive experience in personal injury matters and are prepared to handle your claim so you can focus on healing.
We offer a free case consultation. Contact us at (516) 714-5975 after a serious car accident.
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.