Derry Car Accidents Attorney
Car accidents are a leading cause of injury and death in the U.S. In New Hampshire alone, 104 people were killed in traffic crashes in 2020, as reported by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). If you or your loved one has been hurt in a car accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you are entitled to seek compensation from the responsible party.
How Many People Are Injured or Killed in Car Accidents?
- 38,824 people died in motor vehicle crashes on U.S. Roadways in 2020, as stated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Traffic fatalities increased by 6.8% from the previous year.
- The fatality rate per 100 million vehicle miles traveled increased by 21%.
- An estimated 2.28 million people were injured on U.S. roadways.
- The injury rate was 79 per 100 million vehicle miles traveled.
- An estimated 6.76 million traffic crashes were reported to police nationwide.
What Are the Main Causes of Car Accidents?
Many factors can contribute to motor vehicle accidents, including road hazards, inclement weather, and equipment failure. However, most car accidents are caused by human error or negligence. Common causes include:
- Speeding: The faster a vehicle is traveling, the longer it takes to stop and the greater the impact in a collision. In 2020, 11,258 people were killed in crashes involving speeding, according to NHTSA.
- Distracted driving: This is a leading cause of traffic crashes today. Drivers who do not have their attention on driving can cause accidents.
- Drunk driving: Alcohol consumption impairs driving ability in every way. Every 45 minutes, someone is killed in a drunk driving crash in the U.S., as stated by NHTSA.
- Unsafe lane changes: Many accidents happen when drivers are switching lanes. Collisions can occur when drivers fail to signal and check blind spots first, or when they fail to allow enough room and cut other drivers off.
- Aggressive driving: Speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, disregarding traffic signs and signals, tailgating, and failing to yield the right-of-way to other drivers are all aggressive driving behaviors that can lead to car accidents.
How Do You Recover Compensation for a Car Accident in Derry?
New Hampshire is an at-fault state for car accidents. In terms of financial responsibility, it matters who caused the crash. If another driver is at-fault for your accident, you have the following options for recovering compensation:
- File a first-party claim with your own insurance company.
- File a third-party claim with the other driver’s insurance company.
- File a lawsuit in civil court against the at-fault driver.
If you file a claim, the insurance company will investigate and either offer you a settlement or deny your claim. You may be offered a lowball settlement that does not cover all your damages. Our experienced Derry car accident attorneys can advise you on whether to accept a settlement and negotiate skillfully with insurance companies on your behalf.
What If You Were Partly at Fault for Your Car Accident?
New Hampshire applies a modified comparative negligence rule in car accident cases. Under this standard, if you are 50% or less to blame for the accident, you can recover damages. However, the amount of your damages will be reduced by the percentage of fault assigned to you. Even if the other driver clearly caused the crash, you could be assigned a portion of fault for any error you made. Our skilled Derry car accident lawyers know how to help steer comparative negligence percentages in your favor to get you a higher settlement.Our team of trusted personal injury attorneys at Russell Friedman Law Group is committed to putting your best interests first. After a serious car accident with injuries, contact us at (603) 556-8666 to find out how we can help.
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.