Derry Truck Accident Attorneys
Traffic accidents involving large commercial trucks are on the rise in the U.S. With the steep increase in online shopping and trucks hauling a substantial portion of the nation’s cargo, there are more big rigs than ever on the roads today. In 2020, the most recent year for which statistics are available, 107,000 large trucks were involved in crashes that caused injury, as compared to 53,000 in 2009, according to the National Safety Council (NSC). In a collision between a passenger vehicle and a large commercial truck, occupants of the passenger vehicle are likely to suffer serious injuries.
What Makes Sharing the Road with Large Trucks So Risky?
Crashes involving large trucks can be deadly for other motorists for several reasons:
- Weight discrepancy: The average passenger car weighs 4,000 lbs. A fully-loaded 18-wheeler can weigh 80,000 lbs. or more. In a collision, the impact to the smaller vehicle can be tremendous.
- Size discrepancy: Semi-trucks are taller with greater ground clearance than cars, SUVs, vans, or pickups. In some circumstances, smaller vehicles can slide under trucks and be crushed in deadly underride accidents.
- Truck braking capabilities: Large trucks and buses need up to the length of two football fields to stop safely, as stated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Problems with a truck’s stopping distance only increase with poorly maintained brakes or on wet or slippery roads.
- Large blind spots: Truckers have large blind spots all around their vehicles, particularly on the right side. FMCSA warns, if you cannot see the driver’s face in the mirror, the driver cannot see you. Truck drivers who fail to thoroughly check their blind spots can hit other vehicles.
- Wide turns: Because of their size and length, large commercial trucks need more space to turn. A truck driver moving to the left to execute a right turn may crash into a smaller car.
What Are the Recent Statistics on Large Truck Accidents?
The National Safety Council has published fatality and injury facts about motor vehicle accidents involving large trucks in 2020:
- 4,842 large trucks were involved in fatal crashes, representing a 33% increase since 2011.
- The crash involvement rate per 100 million large-truck miles traveled is up 18% from 2011.
- Large trucks accounted for 9% of all vehicles involved in fatal crashes, but only 4% of all registered vehicles.
- 4,965 people were killed in large truck crashes, representing a 31% increase since 2011.
- 71% of fatalities in large truck crashes were occupants of other vehicles.
- 147,000 injuries were caused by traffic accidents involving big rigs.
What Types of Injuries Do Truck Accidents Cause?
According to the laws of physics, truck accidents are more likely to cause serious injuries to people in the smaller vehicles involved. Injuries commonly sustained in large truck crashes include:
- Head and brain injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Bone fractures
- Spinal cord injuries
- Wrongful death
What Recourse Do You Have in Derry After a Serious Truck Accident?
New Hampshire is an at-fault state for traffic crashes. If you have been seriously injured or lost a loved one in a truck accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you are entitled to seek compensation from the at-fault party.
Truck accidents are complex cases involving federal regulations and multiple potentially liable parties. Trucking companies and their insurers have teams of lawyers to fight against your claim. It is in your best interests to speak with an experienced Derry truck accident lawyer as soon as possible after the collision.
At the Russell Friedman Law Group, we have the knowledge, skills, and resources to effectively pursue your truck accident claim. Our firm has a reputation for excellence and a history of results for our clients. Call (603) 556-8666 to schedule a free consultation and discuss your case with a Derry truck accident attorney.
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.