Derry Dog Bite Attorneys
More people than ever are keeping dogs as pets in the U.S. today. In America, 45% of households own at least one dog, as reported by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). With an estimated 83 to 88 million dogs in the country, the chances of being bitten are increased. Any dog can bite. If you or your child is attacked by a dog, you are entitled to seek compensation for your injuries.
What Is the New Hampshire Law on Dog Bites?
Liability for dog bites is covered in the Nebraska Revised Statutes Annotated at § 466:19. The statute states:
“Any person to whom or to whose property . . . damage may be occasioned by a dog not owned or kept by such person shall be entitled to recover damages from the person who owns, keeps, or possesses the dog, unless the damage was occasioned to a person who was engaged in the commission of a trespass or other tort. . . .”
In other words, dog owners are strictly liable for injuries caused to another person. Injured parties are not required to prove negligence to recover compensation. Keepers and possessors of dogs can be held liable, in addition to owners. New Hampshire law is more favorable to dog bite victims than in many other states.
What Should You Do After a Dog Attack?
- After a dog bites, remain as calm as you can. Do not try to catch the dog – just get to a safe location.
- Once you are safely away, try to identify the dog’s owner or custodian and get a name and contact information. Ask for the name of the dog’s veterinarian and proof of rabies vaccination.
- Do first aid. Clean the wound. In the case of a puncture wound, let the blood flow for a few minutes before applying pressure to stop the bleeding.
- Get medical attention immediately for severe dog bites. Call 911 or go to the emergency room. See a doctor in any case, even if the wounds are minor. If left untreated, dog bites can lead to serious infections.
- Take pictures of your injuries, the physical location, torn clothing, and any evidence of the attack.
- Report the incident to animal control. This can help prevent the animal from hurting someone else. Animal control can also determine if the dog is up to date on vaccinations.
- Get insurance information from the dog’s owner. Many homeowners’ policies cover liability for dog bites. Do not accept a settlement offer without first consulting with a lawyer – your claim could be worth more than you think.
- Speak with an experienced attorney about recovering compensation for your injuries. Our Derry dog bite lawyers can investigate the incident, secure evidence to support your claim, assess the full extent of your losses, and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf, to help ensure all your damages are covered.
What Are the Statistics on Dog Bites?
AVMA reports that:
- 4.5 million people in the U.S. are bitten by dogs every year.
- 800,000 people attacked by dogs, at least half of whom are children, receive medical attention for dog bite injuries.
- Nearly one in five people bitten by dogs need medical attention.
- Children are the most common victims and more likely to be seriously injured.
- In 2021, insurers paid out $881 million for dog bite claims.
- State Farm has paid more than $1.1 billion for dog bite claims over the past decade.
At Russell Friedman Law Group, our Derry personal injury attorneys stand up for people who have been hurt through no fault of their own. We are known for our integrity and honesty and we are committed to putting your best interests first.
If you or your child has been bitten by a dog, call us at (603) 556-8666 to find out how we can help.
We’re a client-centered, results-oriented firm. When you work with us, you can have confidence we’ll put your best interests at the forefront of your case – it’s that simple.
Creative & Innovative Solutions
No two cases are the same, and neither are their solutions. Our attorneys provide creative points of view to yield exemplary results.
We have a team of trusted and respected attorneys to ensure your case is matched with the best attorney possible.
Driven By Justice
The core of our legal practice is our commitment to obtaining justice for those who have been wronged and need a powerful voice.